15 August 2007

Austin City Limits National Spotlight: M.I.A.

Friday, Sept 14th
5:30-6:30pm
Dell Stage

Possibly the most intriguing performer of ACL and one you’ve likely never heard of takes the stage at just the right time. M.I.A. (Mathangi Arulpragasm) descends from a Sri Lankan family of intense political activism. She’s a successful visual artist and has collaborated with Elastica and Peaches in her early music career. Combining elements of hip-hop, dancehall, ragga, grime and baile funk, some of her music and videos have been censored for their political content. M.I.A. is a woman with a lot to say, but
U.S. radio has found no room for her. An outcast if you will, M.I.A. is a glove-like fit for her first Austin appearance. Make sure to leave work early.
Her new album is due out 8.20.07 in the U.S.
Listen to M.I.A. on Download of Week.

www.miauk.com